Thursday, January 16, 2014

See what I did there?

Hey Everyone!

Welcome to my new blog. As the catchy title suggest... I am writing feminist reviews of action films. 

What you need to know first is that MY recipe for feminism isn't quite the traditional blueprint we all know about. I will very rarely be referring to the Bechdel test (Two named women in a film must have a conversation about something other than a man). 

Not that I belittle what the test says, I just know there's a lot more that goes into it. I also believe that modern feminist has changed very much since the 1960's and that we got a little over our heads for a bit there.

For example, just because a woman in a film is motherly and doesn't have a job... doesn't void the entire film of pro-feminist qualities. 

In other words, I'm not as hard on films as most feminist writers. Sue me. 

I'm simply here to discuss what I see as positive and negative in portraying women in film. 

The first blog I am posting is NOT a review but rather a rant I went on a while ago (It isn't a professional paper on feminism it is simply... a rant... so don't judge it). I believe it gives a good idea of where my background is concerning feminism. 

Thanks, and enjoy :)

-Dana
The Fast and the Feminist

No comments:

Post a Comment