Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Fast and the Furious

At first glance the Fast and Furious film franchise seems to consist of men racing cars, kicking ass, and banging hot chicks. At least that's what I always thought. I have to admit... before the passing of Sir Paul Walker I had never seen a single one of the films, for that exact reason.

Well, I finished all six films within the month and was pleasantly surprised. I now consider it one of my favorite franchises... why you ask? 

Though the film does contain a few scantly dressed women, I don't see these women as being objectified but rather as a representation of sexuality. Lets face it ladies, the men aren't exactly fully clothed either so what's to complain about? Am I right? Okay, getting off topic. The point is, fast cars and heightened sexuality tend to go together so we can't disgrace the movie for containing those themes. 


I was not expecting to watch the first film and be immediately blown away by a strong female character. Within the first twenty minutes of the film Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) is about to get in a fight when Letty, his girlfriend (Michelle Rodriguez) says...

"Why don't we go upstairs and you give me a massage instead" 

This caught my attention. Females are often used to diffuse situations where men can get themselves into trouble but its usually by screaming and whining for them not to fight. 

My favorite female character in these films in Bryan O'Conner (Paul Walker, Swoon)'s love interest and Dom's sister Mia (Jordana Brewster). Mia basically defines how I see feminism and being a woman. She is the caretaker and mother figure of the group. She cooks for them and cleans up after them (literally and often figuratively)... yet this doesn't mean she's not a kick ass driver and fighter. 

In the first film when she ask's Brian "Wanna go for a drive?" we are expecting a twilight drive to a beach for a love making session... instead she takes him on a adrenaline filled chase in her honda.

These films also avoid the "Damsel in Distress" Motif. It is very rarely the goal in these films for the mean to rescue the women but rather the women are another aid in accomplishing the end goal. 

The Fast and the Furious Franchise promotes family values and morals (Okay, sometimes illegal ones) without giving the female a demeaning role in the family. Instead the roles they are given are very realistic.

Now I am not by any means claiming that these films represent top notch cinema, the dialogue is often hard to bare. However, that isn't what this blog is about.

I give these films two thumbs up for feminism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment